It’s like a classic episode of the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. The world as it should be has been turned upside-down, inside out and backwards, but just enough familiar remains to give you a tenuous point of reference. The names of the dominant industries are the same but these engines of capitalism are now fascist vassals of the State. The pillars of Wall Street are shills for government command and control. Legislators abdicate their responsibilities in order to get reelected. The Senators of today are as irrelevant as their Roman counterparts two thousand years ago. Jury nullification has been replaced with judicial nullification. The will of the people is continually nullified by the tyranny of evil men in black robes. The specters of 1984 and Brave New World are no longer the stuff of science fiction but an integral part of our daily lives. What’s worse is that most of us can’t live without them. We say we want something else but when given the chance we become just like those that we say we hate.
Our society is sick. We have cancer. This cancer is Liberalism. Unfortunately it is the kind that cannot be surgically removed. One of the more advanced places you will find the disease is in our judicial system. Here are some examples of the extent of the illness.
• We vote over and over that the worst criminals in our society should get the death penalty. The courts keep ruling otherwise. Most death row inmates die of natural causes decades after their conviction. Judges diminish the vote of the people.
• We vote to stop government benefits for illegal aliens. The court rules that is unconstitutional. Judges diminish the vote of the people.
• We charge the citizens of our state less than the citizens of other states to attend our colleges and universities but we have to give illegals that same benefits as our citizens and even grant them scholarships. Judges diminish the vote of the people.
• We vote that marriage should be between a man and a woman but judges say no. This diminishes marriage and redefines it into something it is not. Judges diminish the vote of the people.
• We vote that private property should not be taken by the State except when it is for the public good. The courts rule that citizens have no right to keep property if the State wants it for the benefit of another private party Judges diminish the vote of the people.
• We vote that parents should be involved in the decision of their minor children to seek an abortion but the courts say no. Judges diminish the vote of the people.
• We vote that people that vote should prove they are citizens but the courts say no. Judges diminish the vote of the people.
• We vote that States should uphold federal immigration laws. Judges say that is unconstitutional. Judges diminish the vote of the people.
Then our politicians lament that nobody votes any more. I wonder why?